Sometimes you just need more storage or work space. When considering a shed or garage addition, please be sure to review the building code. Please note that garages need to include construction drawings per the building code.
CLPOA, Somerford, and Madison County Permits are required for garages.
Sheds only require CLPOA Permits.
- Garages (Effective Sep 23, 1994 and Revised Oct 14, 1998)
(1) At least 400 sq. ft. of primary garage space must be maintained at all times.
(Effective Feb. 16, 2000).
- Per the Restrictive Covenants, one detached garage may be constructed. Regardless of house size, the garage size can be 1728 sq. ft.; total garage space (whether attached or a
combination of attached and detached) cannot exceed 1728 sq. ft. or 60% of the living area of
the home, whichever is greater. A detached garage will be considered the additional
storage building as outlined in the Restricted Covenants. It must blend aesthetically with the
(3) Garages on adjacent lots are required to be tied in as a deed restriction of existing house and lot.
(4) All new garages are required to have a driveway, unless permission is granted by the Building Review Committee and Property Manager of concrete, asphalt, or paver-brick finished surface. A building permit for a garage includes the permit for the driveway. (See Section 4.F)
(5) A garage shall have a poured foundation and floor. (Revised Aug 8, 2017).
- Sheds & Storage Buildings
(1) Maximum shed size is 224 sq. ft. (14 feet x 16 feet), maximum height is thirteen (13) feet.
(2) A shed (maximum size 224 sq. ft.), by definition, is not a building because it does
not have a foundation. (Revised April 11, 2017).
(3) No metal sheds permitted. (Effective May 24, 1994).
(4) Sheds must meet the same siding standards as for houses (see 3.B(9)).
(5) Vinyl sheds with steel structural trusses and supports will be permitted at the discretion of the Building Inspector or Property Manager. No other pre-made vinyl or plastic sheds are permissible.
(6) Only one shed permitted per property (property includes house lot and all adjacent lots).
(7) No temporary shed or storage building of any type will be permitted.
(8) Sheds of any size must be set back fifty (50) feet from the high-water mark and 30 feet from the front property line.
(9) Sheds shall be a minimum of five (5) feet from the side or rear lot line. (Revised April 11, 2017).
Full Building Code link