by Dan Blazer
Choctaw Lake lost one of its true treasures Monday, July 9 with the passing of one of our bald eagles. Although we don’t know for sure, the deceased eagle appears to be one of the adult eagles from the eagle’s nest that is just south of Old Columbus Road.
Around noon, Monday, the eagle caught a big fish and appeared to be flying back to the nest. According to accounts, the eagle appeared to be struggling to get height. The eagle unfortunately encountered high voltage electric lines and was electrocuted. We don’t know if it was the female or the male eagle that had this accident. This accident happened on the east side of the lake on East Choctaw.
The deceased eagle was treated with the upmost respect by the neighbors and our police officers. They waited until an ODNR representative arrived and took the bird to be handled in the way prescribed by law. Deceased bald eagles are sent to an Indian tribe for final arrangements.
Many thanks to everyone who was involved. As for myself, I personally feel a great sense of loss with what has happened as I have followed this eagle for over 4 years and have taken many beautiful pictures of it. I am having a hard time processing what has happened. As with all tragic events, however, we must try to see what good there is that has happened too. Here are my thoughts along this line.
- Our eagle didn’t suffer as what happened was instant.
- There were three eaglets born this year and they are now definitely flying. The remaining adult eagle is staying around the nest and has not abandoned the young eagles. I saw the remaining adult yesterday.
- The young eagles appear to be old enough that they are probably hunting for themselves, or if they are not, should be hunting soon.
- The remaining partner will very likely find another mate. Whether the new couple stays and uses the current nest is something we will have to wait to see.
- I have heard that there is another eagle’s nest at Choctaw Lake which is north of the dam area off Arbuckle.
I am very sorry to be writing this post, but I felt that everyone needed to know what happened. So sorry to be bringing this news to everyone.