We have reached the winter pool level. This is the first time in my five years that Mother Nature has actually cooperated with the lake-lowering process. We reached the desired level in the time frame spelled out in the original lake-lowering announcement. This is nice to see as for the last two years the lake actually flooded days after we opened the valve!
Monday, we will adjust the baffles to set the current depth. Note that the valve will remain open until March. The baffles just set the current depth. The baffles are about 7 inches tall. Meaning that we can’t control the lake level to the inch. Our goal is to achieve a depth of 4-4.5 feet below the normal summer pool. The measurement is based on the staff gauge that is on the control box by the spillway at the dam.
The forecast is calling for a few days of rain, but it doesn’t appear to be a storm that will fill the lake back up. We actually look fairly dry over the next two weeks. With that being said, one big rain event could fill the lake back up. If the lake does fill up, it will lower again, over time, due to the valve remaining open.
The next couple of weeks will be a great time for those on the lake to evaluate shorelines and make repairs. At the very least, note the current conditions so that you can plan to make repairs later in the winter or plan for next winter. Taking pictures now may be a good idea for future reference.
If you have any questions about the lake-lowering process, please contact me. I am happy to explain and answer any questions. This topic seems to gain a lot of interest and some confusion.