The 2017 Choctaw Junkyard Boat Derby will take place as usual, the day before Labor Day as part of Choctaw’s Community Days celebration: Sunday, September 3rd at 4:00 p.m. (mark it on your digital calendar here).
Rules and Guidelines
Anything that floats and meets the guidelines below is eligible to enter.
- Must be human or wind-powered (paddled, pedaled, sailed, etc. – no motors).
- All boats will be inspected prior to the race. All construction materials must be JUNK that did NOT come from an actual boat, raft, personal watercraft, inflatable, or any other type of floating vessel.
- JUNK means salvaged, not purchased. Paint and materials that hold the boat together such as duct tape, rope, screws, glue, etc., are the only exceptions.
- Any boat that threatens the safety of its passengers, other race participants, or spectators will be disqualified at the discretion of the judges.
- The name of the boat MUST be readable by spectators, judges, and emcee from shore. It can be painted on both sides or movable to either side AS LONG AS IT IS FASTENED SECURELY. Wind conditions may dictate the direction of the race.
- No boat will be allowed in the water if there is any exposed surface, inside or out, that could shed polluting or hazardous substances or debris into the water. Any such surfaces must be wrapped or sealed.
- Boats raced in prior years are eligible to enter.
All registration forms need to be filled out COMPLETELY AND LEGIBLY, including e-mail address, phone number, and age category, and name of boat. THE NAME AND AGE OF EACH PERSON ON BOARD MUST BE ON THE FORM. THE AGE OF THE OLDEST PERSON ON BOARD DETERMINES WHICH HEAT EACH BOAT ENTERS.
The registration table will be set up at the beach at 3:00 p.m. on race day, and all boats must be registered and lined up at the beach, READY TO RACE by 4:00 p.m. at which time the Emcee will start interviewing the contestants. The race begins after all contestants have been interviewed.
Each heat will start when the judge determines that all boats are lined up properly behind the starting line.
Entrants under the age of 18 must have written permission from a parent or guardian and be accompanied by a designated adult during the race.
Racers in the 12 & under category MUST wear a Coast Guard Approved Flotation Device.
Awards will be given in the following overall categories: Anchor Dragger (last place) will receive a replica of an anchor as well as a certificate. Other categories are: Best Team Spirit, Best-Looking Boat, Best Costume, Best Use of Materials, Most Creative, Wackiest Boat, Most Ingenious Design, and Most Likely to Sink. Prizes will be provided by local business sponsors.
There will be three heats: 12 and under, 13-17, and adult (18 and over). Cash prizes provided by the Booster Club will be awarded for each boat that places first ($50) or second ($25) in each of those age categories.
HAPPY DUMPSTER DIVING!
Look for your entry forms in the August Peace Pipe and also online at choctawlake.com.
Phase one is done! We intended to wait until the weekend of April 29th so more homeowners could participate, but the weather forecast wasn’t cooperating, so we took advantage of the beautiful day on Wednesday the 26th to do the painting. Currently the road side is completed. The lake side letters will be installed on the next convenient good weather day.
Big thank you for the letters and logos who were crafted by Dean Miller. We also received a paint donation from Krista Marie at Sherman Williams in London along with some supplies. Ross McQuirt of Oasis Landscaping has volunteered his services to revamp the landscaping around the sign once the installation is completely finished. At the completion there will be new solar powered lighting installed. The lumber for the new letters was paid for by homeowner donations. The work all done by volunteers.
Thanks to everyone who helped out, or made a donation to this project! We are just getting started! Come join the Volunteers List! Contact any of the Fundraising & Volunteers Committee members to get your named added! We have lots of good stuff coming!
Chair: Brian Stewart